Did you know your ceiling is the largest area for heat gain in summer and heat loss in winter? By correctly insulating your ceiling with a quality product the temperature fluctuation in your home can be managed much more effectively – by keeping the interior cool in summer and warm in winter.
This also means saving on electricity since your need for additional heating or cooling sources such as air-conditioners, heaters and fans will be greatly reduced.
And because it's so simple and easy to install you can do it yourself. It's certainly worth the investment.
- Select the correct roll of insulation after accurately measuring the distance between the roof beams or roof trusses.
- Trim the product to specific sizes before entering the roof space. This can easily be done by tearing or cutting the insulation with a pair of industrial scissors or shears
- Don't walk on the ceiling boards; walk only on the cross-beams, truss ties or balancing boards
- Position the product above and in close contact with the ceiling. Ensure that the insulation fits snugly between roof beams and trusses
- Ensure continuous insulation by carefully butting the ends of rolls up against each other
- Allow a 150 mm gap around flue pipes, ceiling fans and recessed lights
- Wrap insulation around geysers and water pipes for further energy saving
- Use cut-offs to fill gaps, crevices and corners
- Don't block ventilation points with insulation, including gaps between eaves and air-bricks
- Don't put insulation in direct contact with metal chimney fabrications or flues passing through the ceiling space.
- Don't forget to insulate under the geyser and above the trap door.
Call the Cashbuild Helpline on 0860-100-582 for more info.
Did you know?
- Did you know you could apply for your Home Account from Nedbank at Cashbuild? Terms and conditions apply.
- Correctly installed insulation will pay for itself within three years because that's how much you'll save on electricity during that period alone.
- For a house that wasn't previously insulated, a well-insulated ceiling will make your home 20-23 per cent cooler in summer and 40-70 per cent warmer in winter.
- Insulation is maintenance-free once you've installed it.